Wednesday, April 18, 2007

An Open Letter To My Buddy, Cliff Hesby

Dear Cliff:

Remember the good old days when you and I used to walk in circles around the Telus Tower, wearing signs and letting everyone know that things were going to go straight to hell with the phone company if we voted to approve the company's offer?

I hate to say it, but I think we were right.

This is a picture of the phone pedestal behind my place. It's an older one, but should still work just fine. I've lived here since last summer, and every time it rains water gets into a huge gaping hole near the base and makes the phone and Internet connection bad and/or useless for a couple of days afterwards.

I make my living on the phone. Did I mention that, Cliff?

Anyway, as you can image I have called Telus a few times about this. And as you can well imagine, the problem hasn't been taken care of. Had you heard that Telus has installed a system to prioritize your calls based on how much money you're worth to them? Man, technology is cool. It can replace so many people, and do it so efficiently! If only I had Telus TV and a Telus cell phone and Homesitter and such, I'd be up to my eyeballs in service, service, service!

I know a lot of these people personally. They are, for the most part, decent hard-working people. They just seem to be trapped in a place where that hard work and decency is being thwarted by the structure of the corporation they are working for.

Despite all these kind and talented and wonderful people, after ten months I finally had to go out back and seal the pedestal up with a garbage bag and tape, as you can see in the picture. It seems to be working just fine now.

My question to you, Cliff: should I feel bad because I went out and did a Union job myself, rather than waiting another ten months for the van to show up?

Yours in righteous fury,

Matthew

No comments: